Title: Family Support Specialist
Reports to: Pierce Program Director
Position Summary: The Family Support Specialist for the Parent to Parent (P2P) program of Pierce County assists with linking together parents of individuals with developmental disabilities for the purpose of peer mentorship and support. This includes coordinating information, referral, and outreach activities in partnership with the Family Support Specialist, P2P Coordinator and Director. Developing, supporting and fostering the self-sufficiency of Hispanic Support Groups throughout the county and P2P matches with the assistance of trained Helping Parent Volunteers.
- Provide 1:1 technical assistance (TA) to families coping with a new diagnosis or new situation by providing emotional support, information regarding developmental disabilities and community resources that are culturally and linguistically relevant and according to the Life Stage of their loved one
- Disseminate informational materials, resources, and service information via communication pathways (e.g. print, on the website, social media, training curriculum, etc.) to constituents (i.e. families, professionals, community members, co-workers, volunteers, etc.) and assist with assuring they are culturally and linguistically appropriate
- Help recruit, train and support Helping Parent volunteers to provide support and community education
- Access trained Helping Parent Volunteers for culturally and linguistically appropriate matches with parents to provide ongoing support.
- Identify additional community services and resources for families of children with developmental disabilities and special health care needs for team review and help assure all are up-to-date
- Provide community outreach and education regarding the value and availability of Parent to Parent (P2P) Support
- Identify, support and foster volunteers to create and sustain active support groups assuring options throughout Pierce County
- Assures program documentation and records are up-to-date in PAVE’s dedicated data management system (DMS), Salesforce Connected Families
- Responds to community inquiries and requests for help in a timely fashion and with competence
- Connects with cultural brokers, representatives with key organizations/agencies, civic groups and community members for ongoing outreach, volunteer recruitment, and education associated with DD families and their loved ones in Pierce County
- Attend local community meetings as it fits with the team’s strategic vision for its scope of work and to achieve the program’s outcomes
- Assist with task requests from the Helpline, internal and making external referrals
Job Requirements for all Staff:
- Maintain confidentiality of those you work with and other staff members
- Be prompt in arriving at work sites, meetings, and workshops
- Submit accurate (pre-approved) invoices at the end of each pay period
- Attend and participate in staff meetings
- Assist other staff in meeting deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
- Local travel to be reimbursed by PAVE
The job description covers major job requirements and is not meant to be the only source for what activities this position might be expected to assist with. There may be other duties as assigned. This position requires interaction with administrative staff and the public. The job description and activities outlined herein do not constitute a contract nor does it remove PAVE’s at-will employment.