A calming breath works like a life vest when it feels like emotions are rushing us downriver and threatening to take us under. The basic goal is to regulate the flow of oxygen into the bloodstream and to make sure that carbon dioxide is being expelled in a balanced way. Here’s one idea for a breath that might boost relaxation:
- Find a place where you can see a tree or a plant. Notice details about the leaves, needles or branches.
- Note that trees and plants release oxygen into the air.
- Breathe in gently and feel like the plant or tree is giving oxygen to you.
- Breathe out gently and consider that your carbon dioxide is the food the tree or plant needs.
- Experience a moment of being grateful that nature is breathing with you. Say thank you if it feels good to say it out loud.