Special Education Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my child has a developmental delay?

If you suspect that your child might have a developmental delay, you should talk with your child’s pediatrician. They may conduct a developmental screening.

Where can I learn more about tracking milestones?

The Learn the Signs. Act Early website includes tools for tracking milestones and materials for families to learn more and plan home-based activities to promote skill development.

Where can I find out about early intervention services in another state?

The US Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) provides funding for the Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center, based at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. The center builds state and local capacity to improve outcomes for young children
with disabilities and their families.

How do I get the information and documentation for my child’s IEP translated to my first language?

The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) provides guidance about language access rights in multiple languages.

How do I find a program that is culturally responsive?

Call the program office and schedule a visit during which you can observe and ask questions. Communicate your family and cultural values to gauge how the program may accommodate any differences, challenges, or needs.

What is an IEP?

An Individualized Education Program (IEP) is a dynamic program written and tailored to the needs of a student with a disability, aged 3-21, in order to help them participate in and make progress in their education. Read this article to learn more about the IEP.

What do I do if the school will not evaluate my child for an IEP?

If the school refused to evaluate your child, request that they provide you with prior written notice of this decision. You may send a letter requesting an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) or pursue dispute resolution options under the procedural safeguards.

How can I request more help with my child’s educational and medical needs and supports?

Complete a Get Help request on the PAVE website to connect with a team member for additional support.